Re: I-D ACTION:draft-lyons-proposed-changes-statement-01.txt

2004-10-26 12:56:34
Harald,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this.  As I recall, at a meeting with
you and Leslie in January 2004, you told me about a proposal under
consideration that involved the donation of a patented architecture to the
IETF.  You mentioned a group that wanted to donate the technology,
but I don't know if that has progressed in the interim.  By donation,
I mean such things as pooling patents in order to give technology
to the IETF at little or no cost (whether or not under license).  ISOC
was mentioned in this context. This came up again informally during
a coffee break at the ISOC Advisory Comm. meeting in Barcelona
where I recall some discussion of possible interoperability testbeds
for purposes of IETF architecture deliberations.

It was my understanding that one motivating factor in the admin.
restructuring process was the need to have a corporate entity to
receive such donations of patents;  ISOC also has some interest in
this. While this notion hasn't been developed to any extent, as far as
I am aware, there is an important kernel of thought here that needs
to be addressed.  Since the late 1980s when I first became involved in
considering  IPR policies for the IETF, I have been well aware of the
need to be flexible with respect to copyright, patent and other
rights and interests in an IETF context. Again, checks and balances
are essential here.

Regards,

Patrice

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>