RE: FW: [Inquiry #19085] Issue with Meeting Schedule change at th e last moment

2004-11-07 14:58:22
Well stated!!

/L-E

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Brian E Carpenter
Sent: den 7 november 2004 22:08
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: FW: [Inquiry #19085] Issue with Meeting Schedule
change at
the last moment

I haven't really see anyone state clearly what has always
been my understanding of this issue.

The IETF meeting starts Monday morning and ends Friday
lunchtime. We hold all the WG and BOF sessions in one place
because synergy and cross-fertilization between WGs is necessary
to achieve a reasonably consistent Internet. The intention
is that everybody stays for 4.5 days and takes an active part
in multiple WGs and BOFs. Parachuting in for one WG is simply
not effective, since we need to understand and resolve conflicting
issues between WGs.

In that context, late agenda changes in order to minimize
clashes are common events.

(This is made fairly clear in the Tao of the IETF, which
is more or less required reading for newcomers:
http://www.ietf.org/tao.html#2 .)

     Brian