Alexander Calder and Joan Miró in walking distance from IETF 61

2004-11-08 13:37:48
If you feel like a seeing an art museum but don't want to go to one of the bigger, better-known museums in DC, consider the Phillips Collection, which happens to be about four blocks from the Hilton. They have a fairly nice permanent collection of modern American art, and the current special exhibition is a joint show for Alexander Calder and Joan Miró. <http://www.phillipscollection.org/html/exhibits.html>

Admission for the special exhibition is pricey ($13), but if you are a fan of either Calder or Miró, it is probably quite worth it. (Admission to the general collection is free during the week.)

I have loved Calder since I was a child, and this collection has some really playful pieces from the 30's and 40's. The rooms are arranged in similar themes shared by Calder and Miró (who were life-long friends), so there is a nice balance between sculpture and paintings. This is the best Calder exhibit I have seen.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium