RE: AdminRest: IASA BCP: section 5 - IASA Funding

2004-11-26 08:08:31
Scott, w.r.t. your rcomments on IASA Funding section.
I will be doing a separate posting with some questions,
but wanted to try and respond to your specific comments first,
see below.

section 5

I'm not that sure that this document should be so specific as to say
that the IAOC has a separate bank account - seems to me that the

well, that is how we tried to address the below principles.

following principals need to be established
      1/ that all of the IETF-related funds have to be fully and
         transparently accounted for

agreed

      2/ that the ISOC will ensure that there are adequate funds to
         cover the budgeted activities of the IAOC when they are needed

I guess you mean IASA instead of IAOC
Other than that, agreed

      3/ the IAD (or another designated member of the IAOC in case of
         the disability or unavailability of the IAD) has an ability to
         commit funds (e.g. direct that checks be cut and sent - that
         could be by giving the IAD the right to sign checks or just
         the authority to direct that checks be signed - I do not
         think there is a difference in day to day operation)

agreed.

I also believe that we (IETF) want to ensure that reserve funds get
build and that all the funds that have been alloocated to IASA/IETF
stay with IASA for IASA to use for IETF admin support functions.

section 5.1
   All meeting revenues go into the IASA account.

note that there may be a startup phase where this is not the case
because the existing systems will be in place until RFPs are created,

I agree that during startup things may be a bit different. But do we
have to describe transitional things in the BCP ?

It seems you agree we (IETF) need/want to have a special bank account
for collecting the meeting fees, do you? Not 100% clear to me if you do.

section 5.2
why not just say that the ISOC should not accept any in-kind donations
for the IETF without the prior OK of the IAD/IAOC?

Is that just a matter of wording/clarity?
I assume you are speaking about the "usefulness" of in-kind donations,
right?

sec 5.3 pp1
this is far to proscriptive - I do not think that the authors of this
document or the general IETF community are accounts - lets
establish the
requirement that funds be available when needed but not try to dictate
the best way for that to be done - let the accountants figure that out

a simple point is that the document asks for quarterly deposits for a
process that has peak funding needs 3 times a year - that does not mesh

Again, initially that may not mesh, but once we have reserve funds build
up, then that should not be a problem from the IASA/IETF side, should it?
Maybe it is a problem from ISOC side, that I do not yet know.

I could easily see that it would be better to not have a separate
account and just use ISOC's regular processes - I would rather this
document not make an assumption on what the ISOC external accountants
might recommend (or insist on) for this sort of thing

We'll need to check with them.

sec 5.3 pp2
see above - this should just fall under a general requirement that all
ISOC funding etc related to the IETF (and IASA) must be fully and
publicly accounted for - I see nothing special over insurance
- any more than I would see that such a requirement would not cover
office expenses if the IAD where to be located in an ISOC office
(in the US or elsewhere) or cover any employee specific expenses like
health benefits

May I assume that other responses have made it clear that we in principle
seme to agree and that the "insurance" thing is just an example?

section 5.4
      I think this is almost right - I think it should say that the
aim is for there to be 6 months of non-meeting expenses available for
the IASA - I suggest this because it does not limit how the reserve
could be provided (maybe as part of a general ISOC line of credit, or
immediately available investment account)

Others have suggested that we must have the reserves in an IASA account
as well. Not sure we have consensus yet on what we (IETF) want/need.

Bert