Re: Why people by NATs

2004-11-26 20:07:17
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:33:54 +0100, "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" said:

But why to spend time and money and to take risks to change something which
is not broken. IPv6 has no problem in keeping the same host numbers if the
used addressing plan uses a numbering scheme designed with that purpose in
mind, like the telephone numbering scheme. You change of telephone
providers - or use several at the same time - without changing number.

That's because the phone number is more akin to a DNS name than an IP address.

I'm pretty sure that if you investigate the insides of how the telco system
makes that transparent provider-change work, you'd not be as interested in
using it as an example.  (Or did you *want* to go back to the days when routing
tables were shipped around and installed on the fuzzballs twice a week?  I got
tired of *that* back in 1984.  And back then, the routing tables were only a
few hundred lines long, not the 150K routes we have now...)