Re: As an ISP did you always get the IP chunk you wanted? (was Re: The gaps that NAT is filling)

2004-12-07 19:03:54
At 18:27 07/12/2004, Joe Abley wrote:
On 7 Dec 2004, at 12:18, JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

What is the particular thing that you find so useful, here? That some LIRs are not as easy to deal with as others?

That the affirmation that no RIR has ever refused an IPv4 chunk is wrong, and that its documented here while when it was made no one objected.

RENATER is not an RIR.

Please let us not try to make a point: we want to _understand_ why NATs develop more than IPv6. RENATER is an acknowledged leader in promoting IPv6: they are certainly not concerned. What is interesting is the way users may perceive the culture deduced from the RIR policy or strategy (which may very well work for others). The interest is not to know who is "right" (no one is right or wrong) but why there are more NATs than IPv6 and to be able to change that. What works in some/most today cases may not work in every case. I feel, and I try to document, it may be because we want to discuss about a single kind of users (ourselves and operators), rather than to listen to them all (the small networks, home networks). The customer is always right ... all the customers if we want them all.

What counts is not the way the network is built, but the way the users understand it. jfc