A hackers root kit - and what they did.

2004-12-11 15:18:14

A hacker broke into one of my systems using a consultants weak
password and installed a root kit. Fortunately they did not
do much damage before being caught. I do not think they had
yet hacked the root account, so the damage was minimum.

For those interested, I saved a copy of all of the installation
files (much of it includes source code) that he was using.

They are at:

   http://INET-consulting.com/ROOT-INFO.tar.bz2 (1,573,286 bytes)

Some files did not have source code, they are compiled programs.
(So you might NOT want to run time!) Also is a file called WHAT-HE-DID.txt
that is a copy of the .bash_history file he had left behind.

My guess is that he did not have that much experience as he
failed to remove log and history files.

--

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
                              | Cell:   (208)520-4044