Re: Charset name length(s)

2004-12-13 00:21:22
Hi -

From: "Bruce Lilly" <blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com>
To: "ietf-822" <ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>;
<ietf-charsets(_at_)iana(_dot_)org>
Cc: "Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com>;
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; <ietf-languages(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 9:39 PM
Subject: Re: Charset name length(s)

On Sun December 12 2004 22:52, Randy Presuhn wrote:

Hi -

Could explain the connection Bruce sees between the limit on
the length on descriptors used in writing MIB modules and
the tags used for identifying character sets?  I thought I
understood MIB compiler issuess fairly well, but I seem
to be missing something here, as I just can't see how the
MIB compiler constraints are relevant.

Randy

Briefly, charsets are specified by printer MIBs (RFC 3805,
formerly 1759).  Those charsets have names beginning with
"cs". More information is at the top of the IANA charsets
registry
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

I think the expression "putting the cart before the horse" applies.

Since there is already an aliasing mechanism in use in the
file you cite, it's a stretch to think that the character set name would
prevent the definition of a "cs*" alias that would fit within the
limits of what MIB compilers are permitted to support, or the
(shorter!) limit given in the IANA file.  A more fundamental
question would be why there would be any point to creating
a charset name to go with one of these imaginary long names.

Randy