Re: draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-02: section 3.4 - appeals

2004-12-13 06:18:51
1/ I am not alone in worrying about this section

2/ the text does not actiually say that decisions of the IAD
   can not be appealed (also as I understand other comments,
   some people would like to have that ability)

3/ the text does not catually say that only procedural issues can
   be appealed (it implies that but does not say that)

4/ there is no text saying what the limit of the investigation
   might be (for example - would the IAD have to turn over to
   the succession of appeal bodies confidential information
   about a particular contract awarding?

I'd like to see an appeals section that says something like:

   If someone believes that the IAOC has violated the IAOC rules and
   procedures, he or she can ask the IETF leadership to investigate the
   matter, using the same procedure as is used for appeals of procedural
   issues in the IETF, starting with the IESG.

   Only IAOC processes can be appealed, actions and processes of the
   IAD cannot be appealed.  Decisions themselves cannot be
   appealed.  For example, the awarding of a contract to someone
   other than the lowest bidder can not be appealed.  Appeals are
   limited to claims that published IAOC procedures have not been
   followed, for example that a pubished process that called for a
   2 week public comment period only had a one week comment period
   in a particular case.

   If the IESG, IAB or the ISOC Board of Trustees find that procedures
   have been violated, they may advise the IAOC, but do not have
   authority to overturn or change a decision of the IAOC.

   The IAOC plays no role in appeals of WG Chair, IESG, or IAB
   decisions.

I think that the added text makes clear what Harald said was the intent
but I note that other commenters have said that the right of appeal
was already too limited

Scott