Re: Copying conditions

2004-12-14 11:46:44
"Simon" == Simon Josefsson <jas(_at_)extundo(_dot_)com> writes:

    Simon> In general, I support your goal of permitting free software
    Simon> to fully use IETF standards.  A few specific comments
    Simon> below, which should be taken as encouragement to continue
    Simon> and refine the terms, not criticism against the whole
    Simon> approach.

    Simon> "Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen(_at_)rosenlaw(_dot_)com> writes:

    >> 1. Everyone is free to copy and distribute the official
    >> specification for an open standard under an open source
    >> license.

    Simon> I would include "modify" in this clause, or clarify exactly
    Simon> which license you are talking about (e.g., GNU Free
    Simon> Documentation License).

We've been over this before.  In my mind, there is not a consensus to
revise this part of the IETF IPR policy at this time.  I'm not the
chair of the IPR working group; this is just my opinion.

However by conflating issues where you could get support with issues
where you cannot get support you frustrate everyone and cause a lot of
us to want to ignore you.  If the open source community cannot work
within the IETF process in a spirit of compromise and consensus
building then that community will not make significant progress within
the IETF process.

Simon, you've identified a real issue the free software community has
using our standards.  If you do the leg work or find others who are
interested in doing the leg work, you have a good chance at getting
the problem you've identified fixed.  However if you tie fixing that
problem to other much more controversial issues, I doubt you will
succeed.

--Sam