Re: [Old-standards] Re: [newtrk] List of Old Standards to be retired

2004-12-17 01:10:29
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, William Allen Simpson wrote:
Folks, I took a look at the first posting, and was surprised at those
where I'm personally knowledgable. RFC1378 The PPP AppleTalk Control Protocol (ATCP)

It was widely implemented.  I still use this.  My $1000 HP LaserJet 4ML
works fine, it hasn't run out its original cartridge, but I need
appletalk for it. RFC1552 The PPP Internetworking Packet Exchange Control Protocol (IPXCP)
RFC1553       Compressing IPX Headers Over WAN Media (CIPX)

Again, widely implemented.  Sure, IPX wasn't a very good protocol, but
I'm aware of rather a large number of sites that still run it.  Sure,
Novell refused to divulge the contents of some of the fields, so we
just had to carry undifferentiated bytes around, but it worked....

RFC1598       PPP in X.25
RFC1618       PPP over ISDN

At one time, these were incredibly important in the 3rd world, and
some parts of Europe and Japan. Is X.25 completely non-existant today? Heck, folks were running X.25
over ISDN D-channels, and those still exist on every PRI circuit....

There's certainly no illusion that these protocols are not being used in some part(s) of the universe.

The question is really whether the IETF is interested in maintaining them any longer, and whether we expect significant new deployments of these protocols.

Marking the document historic does not take it "away" from deployment -- marking document as historic doesn't hurt at all (except procedurally, when used as a normative reference, but then we have to do some work in any case if the reference was outdated).