Consensus? #738 Section 5.3 - Unclear text

2004-12-22 07:38:50
Margaret said, quoting the BCP draft:

ISOC shall create appropriate administrative structures to coordinate
such donations with the IASA.

I don't understand this sentence. Which donations are "such
donations" and in what way do they need to be coordinated with
IASA?

On rereading the paragraph, this sentence seems to say little that was not said by the first sentence of the second paragraph of the section:

   ISOC shall create and maintain appropriate structures and programs to
   coordinate donations intended to support the work of the IETF, and
   these will include mechanisms for both in-kind and direct
   contributions to the work supported by IASA.

I think it may have been intended to embody the principle from section 2.2:

In-kind donations shall only be accepted at the direction of the IAD and
IAOC.

But since we have already stated that in "principles", I think we can leave it to the IAD to make sure this is part of the "appropriate" structures.

Suggested resolution: Delete the sentence from the third paragraph (after the Editor's notes):

   ISOC shall create appropriate administrative structures to coordinate
   such donations with the IASA.

Makes the document a little shorter, too.

OK?