Re: #720 and #725 - Appeals and IAD autonomy

2004-12-24 06:13:30
Hi Spencer -

Hi John -

Your note seems like an outlier.  In particular, it takes a really
*strong* stance on protecting people from each other because
people *will* act badly.  For example, the way I read your
note, the IESG will micromanage and the IASA/IAD will order
bagels flown in daily from New York.  Appeals will be a daily
happening and people will hire lawyers instead of working it out.

John's note took a stronger stand than I would have taken, but I
happen to agree with most of his points - especially that IASA/IAD
effectiveness should be evaluated in large slices. Maybe annually,
certainly not decision-by-decision.

Periodic reviews are good ... Marshall Rose once suggested a 3-year
sunset clause.  In any case, you know you can do that review without
having that in the BCP?  (As could ISOC.)  That's a unilateral
action and the BCP is supposed to cover a mutual agreement.

In my second marriage, I have learned that in a partnership vital to
both parties, I don't get to pick the parts I like and demand that the
other parts change. It's a package deal. If the package works, great,
but trying to turn a package that doesn't work into one that does,
part by part, just isn't worth the aggravation and agony.

Well, mumble, since we're going down that metaphorical rat hole ...

You're right ... you can't make people change part by part.  But,
I can't somehow imagine a marriage between people preceeded with a
6-month pre-nuptial negotiation period.  Perhaps in New York City,
but certainly not on the west coast where I live.

It seems to me that the IETF has been shacking up with ISOC for
10 years, has gone through an intensive courtship period with lots
of dating rules, and that if this marriage is going to work
less time should be spent planning the divorce and a bit more time
on planning some romantic honeymoon activities like
forming committees, doing budgets, and evaluating IAD applicants.

I just don't see any marginal gain in further tweaking of the vows
and even if you get your prospective bride to utter specific
words, the lawyer/priest won't be around after the ceremony and
you're going to have to work together.  Isn't it time to cut
that cake?

Best regards and happy holidays ....

Regards,

Carl