Re: draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, specifications, "stability", and extensions

2005-01-06 07:40:29
 Date: 2005-01-05 10:33
 From: ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com

Section 2.5 (2.4.1 in the draft) states the matching rule in a succinct
fashion.  Everything in 2.4.2 is a non-normative elaboration of this.

??? Which in no way refutes my assertion that no matching rule algorithm
was given in RFC 3066!

I believe that John meant sect. 2.5 of RFC 3066, which does indeed
mention a matching algorithm.  However, the proposed changes in the
structure of tags interact badly with that algorithm.

My reading of that text is that it goes out of its way to try and avoid direct
discussion of a matching algorithm, talking instead about "rules" and
"constructs". I no longer recall the circumstances behind this, but my guess
would be that talking about algorithms directly moved this specification a bit
too close to implementation work, which in turn would argue for the normal
standards track and its ability to assess interop status, not BCP.

This present yet another problem for the current draft, BTW.

                                Ned