Re: draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, sp ecifications,

2005-01-07 09:35:45
"Peter" == Peter Constable <petercon(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com> writes:

    >> From: Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> It occurs to me that a
    >> Last Call for an independent submission has an
    Peter> added
    >> requirement to satisfy, namely that the community supports
    >> adoption of
    Peter> the work.
    >> We take a working group as a demonstration of community
    >> support.

    Peter> You say "the community", though surely a working group is
    Peter> only representative of "a community" or a portion of "the
    Peter> community".

No.  The entire community reviews the chartering of the working group.

It's sort of complicated; community consensus does not appear to be
required by 3418 in order to form a working group, although I would
expect someone to appeal if a WG was formed and there was a rough
consensus against the formation of that group.

I do agree that individual submission last calls have greater latitude
than WG last calls.  I think that "Even though the WG supports this,
the IETF does not and thus we will not publish," is a valid outcome of
an IETF-wide last call.  IN practice it's harder to get that result than "The
IETF does not support this individual submission; we will not publish."

Speaking only to general process and not to the issue at hand.