Re: IASA Finances - an attempt at some uplevelling

2005-01-10 10:31:01

--On Monday, 10 January, 2005 16:31 +0100 Harald Tveit
Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:

      Any IASA account balance, any IETF-specific intellectual
      property rights, and any IETF-specific data and tools
shall also
      transition to the new entity. Other terms of removal
shall be
      negotiated between the non-ISOC members of the IAOC and
ISOC.

(the last point is an afterthought. It seems strange to have
ISOC members negotiating with ISOC in the case of a
separation. While I don't expect to have to use that
paragraph, many have argued that it's better to get it written
properly while we're starting than to wait until we need it.)

Harald, I may have other thoughts on your other suggestions as I
think more about them, but this strikes me as just wrong.  There
are many people who are members of ISOC who are members because
it seems like the Right Think to Do, with or without the former
$35 fee.  Many people became members by virtue of attending one
conference or another, and are still on the rolls since the
membership fee was eliminated and everyone was carried forward.
Unless you want to make non-ISOC-membership a criterion for
anyone on the IAOC who is not appointed by ISOC --which I think
would be a very serious case of shooting ourselves in the foot--
you run the risk of every IAOC member being also an ISOC member,
leaving no one to negotiate or, worse, leaving only one or two
people to "represent" all IETF interests.

In addition, because this might discourage IETF participants
from becoming ISOC members, there is a case to be made that the
ISOC Board could not approve this without violating their duties
to ISOC.

It would be reasonable to exclude any person who has a position
of authority or responsibility within ISOC's structure from
participating on both sides of a negotiation (or negotiating for
the IETF if you want to force them to the other side), excluding
any ISOC member feels to me like it is both excessive and dumb.

I'd look to Lynn or Fred for an acceptable way to state
"position or authority or responsibility" in the ISOC context.
I don't know what would work and be stable as they evolve their
management and volunteer structures.

     john