Re: FYI: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-04.txt (fwd)

2005-01-16 18:17:41
At 11:43 PM +0100 1/14/05, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
Folks,

as you can see, version -04 is out.
It should reflect pretty accurately the items that seemed to have consensus as of last night; on still open issues, it contains either the same text as before or some proposed text.

Harald,

I have a couple of comments below; I will address some of the other questions raised by Margaret and Rob by responding to their mails. Also, note: the ISOC Board is reviewing the -04 version and my comments should not be interpreted as the full extent of ISOC's comments, those will be sent soon.

-- In 2.1

 IAOC: Internet Administrative Oversight Committee, defined by this document.

Should be IETF rather than Internet (especially with the current governance discussion underway unless we really want to liven that discussion up :-). I think the references in the document itself are OK but I did not do a thorough check.

-- In 2.2 principle 8 - note: this is not a critical change, but it may be helpful to more accurately reference later text in the document.

The IASA, in cooperation with ISOC, shall ensure that sufficient

s/reserves/reserves or other mechanisms/

exist to keep the IETF operational in the case of unexpected events such as income shortfalls.

-- In 5.6 Operating Reserve

   As an initial guideline and in normal operating circumstances, the
   IASA should have an operating reserve for its activities sufficient
   to cover 6-months of non-meeting operational expenses, plus twice the
   recent average for meeting contract guarantees.  However, the IASA
   shall establish a target for a reserve fund to cover normal operating
   expenses and meeting expenses in accordance with prudent planning.

This doesn't seem to parse clearly - are you suggesting that the targeted reserve fund will be different from the initial guideline as described in the first sentence (or maybe it's a timeframe difference?)? If you want to leave it up to IASA (IAOC?), why not say so directly, perhaps referencing the "under normal operating circumstances" etc. etc.

Minor editorial comments:

- In 3.1 6th para - delete redundant "should"

- In 3.2 1st para - delete redundant "be"

- In 4 4th para - delete redundant "as"

Again, thanks to everyone (and especially Bert, Rob and Henrik) for all the work.

Regards,

Lynn