Employment status of IAD (was: Re: Review of draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-04.txt)

2005-01-22 11:40:31

--On Friday, 21 January, 2005 08:45 -0500 Scott Bradner
<sob(_at_)harvard(_dot_)edu> wrote:

how about (in response to Elwyn's comment)

   Although the IAD is an ISOC employee, he or she works under
the    direction of the IAOC.  A committee of the IAOC is
responsible for    hiring and firing of the IAD, for reviewing
the performance and for    setting the compensation of the
IAD.   The members of this committee are    appointed by the
IAOC, and consist at minimum of the ISOC President and    the
IETF Chair.

As a safeguard against the appearance of cabals, etc., if there
is going to be a statement about the minimum membership of that
committee, it should also include an IETF-appointed member who
is not a member of the IESG or IAB.  This is a little bit like
the "outside director" requirement that is common for personnel
committees of standard corporate boards.

I don't think I'm concerned about a real risk of problems here,
but it is always desirable to avoid any possible appearance of
impropriety, especially when that is easy.

    john