NeuStar as a unit (was Re: Progress report......)

2005-01-26 07:54:44

Harald mentions in passing:
  for instance, the transition team has
  briefly considered the option of making "permanent institutional memory" in
  the form of archives a separate task that is carried out outside the
  present "secretariat" framework - since Carl's reports indicate that this
  task may need a different skillset, and different resources, than the
  secretariat currently has.

is there a requirement for the IETF to agrre that NeuStar take over
all of the current Foretec funstions?  It seems to me that providing
mailing list services (along with the archives of them) is a quite
separable function - there are a number of companies in that business.

I'd like to see a RFP be developed for the mailing list function and
that bids be solicited for it - NeuStar could bid on the RFC if they
felt that they have the expertise but I see no reason to think that
they would automatically be the best choice.

In the long run I'd like the IETF to move away from having a single
vendor for all of our support services (ignoring for the moment the
RFC Editor and IANA which are already seperate) - it puts too much
dependency in one place and assumes that expertise in, for example,
meeting managment automatically translates into expertise in other areas
such as mailing list management.

Scott