Sole source contracts and the BCP

2005-01-27 05:37:41
John,
forgive me for pulling a reset here - but I've become sufficiently lost in the various threads on the "progress report" heading that I'm no longer certain which questions you've raised, which have been answered, which have been overtaken by events, and which are no longer relevant. So let me start over.

To my mind, there are 2 basic questions to raise:

- Does the BCP as written give the IAD the power to receive an unsolicited offer for a service that might otherwise have been put out for bid, consider it, consult on it, decide that it is the best thing for the IETF, propose to ISOC and the IAOC that this is a good thing for the IETF and is financially responsible, and, after getting approval from them, sign the deal?

I believe the answer is "yes" - the business of the IASA is the IAD's to administer. If we (as represented by the IAOC) don't like it, we chastise him/her or fire him/her. And I believe that has been true at least since version -00 (I did not check the "scenario O" text).

As a subsidiary question: Should the BCP give the IAD that power?

Here too, I believe the answer is "yes" - you've written some great pieces on why the IAD needs considerable autonomy on how to do business in the past.

And the other basic question:

- Is the deal that Neustar has said that they are considering offering the best thing for the IETF?

I believe the answer here is "we don't know, but it might be" - and you may consider the message from Leslie and the subsequent discussion to be a part of the transition team attempting to get a head start on the consultation that the IAD will have to do in order to decide that issue.

I'm sure that there are all sorts of ramifications and implications of both those two questions - but do you agree that these are the 2 core questions on the thread, and that they are different?

                       Harald