RE: Perhaps clarify: #825 - IASA responsibilities regarding IPR

2005-02-01 07:34:57
At 12:16 PM +0100 2/1/05, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
             <t>
                 The IASA is responsible for managing all intellectual
                 property rights (IPR), including but not limited to
                 trademarks, and copyrights, that belong to the IETF.

Is this really what we want to say?  Or do we want to say something like:

The IASA is responsible for managing all intellectual property rights (IPR) related to IETF administrative support, including but not limited to trademarks, copyrights, attendance lists, tools, etc.?

We have an IPR WG and have undertaken a mammoth effort to define our standards-related IPR and how that will be assigned and managed, and I am not sure that we want to hand management of that IPR over to the IASA/IAOC, do we? Given the number of the people in the community that were involved/interested in that effort, I think that we may continue to want direct community control over the standards-related IPR.

Margaret