why optical developments since 2001 are bad news for Carriers

2005-02-01 20:33:01
I have written some material that I think will be of interest to list members. While layer three is great there is a whole new world building out there at layer one and two with cheap user rolled optical nets. This new world will I believe affect IP and IP routing in important ways.

Optical Revolution Increases Obsolescence of Legacy Carrier Networks

Highly Efficient Layer One and Two Optical Networks Will Spell End of the Road for ATT, Sprint & MCI in Their Current Form

 Intelligent Acquisition Could Lead to Quick Write Offs of Obsolete Equipment
 & Result in Modernization of "Telco" Infrastructure

An examination of the infrastructure of the leading optical research networks (SURFnet 6, CA*Net4, and TransLight) shows that we may well be headed towards optical networks owned, built, and operated by enterprises and other large entities that are sources of, and/or, sinks for data, with the public Internet and carrier backbone networks merely acting as inter-connecting vehicles for private bit carriage.

We examine the emergence of new enterprise-owned and -operated networks. These will be composed of hybrid networks that, for certain Quality of Service and security-mandated applications set up lightpaths, when needed, and then tear them down. Best-effort Layer 3 IP services for email and web browsing will utilize a separate allocation of bandwidth elsewhere within the optical spectrum of physical glass. This new enterprise-owned optical network is likely to be one that could switch lightpaths back and forth on an as-needed basis sending payloads over dedicated lightpaths where appropriate and needed, while best-effort routing continues to function on its own over intranet or Internet routes, thus filling in the gaps between highly mission-critical and business-as-usual applications. For independent verification of our basic conclusions see Dark fiber: Businesses see the light.
http://news.com.com/Dark+fiber+Businesses+see+the+light/2100-1037_3-5557910.html?tag=nefd.lede

For complete Introduction and Executive Summary and Table of contents see
http://cookreport.com/14.01.shtml