Re: Version -06 of the IASA BCP - is this a workable version?

2005-02-02 18:34:37
At 09:57 02/02/2005, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
Version -06 of draft-ietf-iasa-bcp is now available in the archives.

At this time, I'd like to ask:
Does this document, taken as a whole, and seen from the IETF community, represent an acceptable basis for starting the IASA?

For those who want to click on an URL to find this draft, here it is for your convenience:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-06.txt

I am no longer asking whether people like all the details. We can make adjustments to that forever, but we have to stop some time.
I'm asking whether this document is now "good enough".

If the question is only that, answer is "no".

Reason why, is the draft says that there is no open issue. It also says:"The IETF is a consensus-based group, and authority to act on behalf of the community requires a high degree of consensus and the continued consent of the community. After a careful process of deliberation, a broad-based community consensus emerged to house the IETF Administrative Support Activity (IASA) within the Internet Society.This document reflects that consensus."

Yet the request that the following text is added in Part 4 has been objected by you and discussed with others, on the list and off list. The carefull process of deliberation is not completed, and has not lead to a consensus.

This text is: "International: ISOC shall work with its national Chapters, the IAD and IAOC to document how the IETF meetings and the Internet standard process could benefit from the local presence, market knowledge and languages familiarity of these Chapters."

jfc