Re: Last Call: 'Domain Name System (DNS) Case Insensitivity Clarification' to Proposed Standard

2005-02-03 15:34:00
Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu> writes:

ISO/IEC 9899:1990 section 6.1.3.4 has this to say:

This differs from my account in not requiring the first octal digit
after backslash to be zero.  Thank you for correcting that; "\61",
indeed, works as "1" in C.  (Thus, there are enough digits to
represent any value of an octet.)

In any case, my original point was not to get into a discussion of the
finer details of character escapes in particular programming
languages, nor to suggest that every escape permitted by C or Perl be
used in this context.  Rather, it was to point out that the existing,
commonly-used convention for character escapes of this form uses octal
digits, not decimal, and that differing in this particular way would
be likely to lead to confusion.

Agreed.

[...] it is likely to lead to significant confusion.

I also agree that "\027" for ESC is unnecessarily confusing.

--
Stanislav Shalunov              http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

This message is designed to be viewed in boustrophedon.