Re: draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-06: ISOC Board of Trustee selection of IAOC member

2005-02-05 11:49:13
Russ,

While this strikes me as mostly harmless, I don't think it
belongs in this document.  The document itself is an IETF
document.  It has gotten a good deal of useful input from ISOC
staff, Board members, and interested parties, and we expect ISOC
to sign off on it, but it remains an IETF document.  We could
have done it in other ways --which might have been either better
or worse-- but we didn't.

I think it would be good if ISOC made its procedures public once
they decide on them.  But, if the document starts dictating
procedures to them, it both constrains future evolution
unnecessarily and might constitute a barrier to getting swift
ISOC BoT signoff on the document as they debate their own
long-term procedures in this area.

Like others, I'm reconciled to the fact that we will probably
have to revise the BCP in a year or two.  But I still think we
should keep any specifics and details that don't strictly need
to be in the document out of it, lest those force early
revisions over issues that are ultimately not important.

best,
   john

--On Thursday, 03 February, 2005 11:23 -0500 Russ Housley