Re: ASCII diff of ISOC-proposed changes to BCP

2005-02-11 01:41:29
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:56:22 -0800, Ted Hardie wrote:
  ISOC has proposed this:

    This document describes the structure of the IETF Administrative
    Support Activity (IASA) as an IETF-managed activity housed within the
    Internet Society (ISOC).
  to replace this:
    This document describes the structure of the IETF Administrative
    Support Activity (IASA) as an IETF-controlled activity housed within
    the Internet Society (ISOC) legal umbrella.

  Speaking personally, I strongly prefer "controlled" to "managed",
  and I believe that the formulations we've used up to now intended
  the "under ISOC's wing" view that "IETF-controlled" implies.  Changing
  it weakens a formulation that is core to the community consensus
  that we've built over time, and I don't think it is a good idea.

"IETF-managed" means that it is managed by the IETF?  Yet isn't that exactly
what it is NOT.  It is an IETF activity, managed by an ISOC employee.

Or maybe the real is really is about control?

One thing that is likely is that a negotiation that involves this degree of
disparity of language also involves strategic disparities between the two
groups doing the negotiating.

d/
--
Dave Crocker