Re: Time to charter

2005-05-04 06:50:09
(John's long and interesting message severely truncated)

John C Klensin wrote:

... We may need
a way to have an "experimental" or "probationary" WG: to say to
a group "we don't have much confidence in this, but you are
welcome to try to run with it and prove us wrong... you get a
fixed amount of time, after which the assumption is that we are
going to shut you down unless you have produced enough useful
results to justify rechartering".

The option that is often considered today is to charter a WG only
to produce a framework or architecture document (or if we're feeling
unusually courageous, a requirements document). No specifications
can be produced without subsequent rechartering. The charter could
certainly include an explicit decision point for recharter vs. close,
but that's implicit anyway.

I'm not sure what the "probationary" label would give that this
doesn't already achieve.

   Brian