Re: Authentication/Session tracking question [was: HTTP/1.1Protocol: Help Needed

2005-05-12 21:07:30
Hi Keith,

  Thanks for the response.  Please see my comments inline.

At least from a process point-of-view, it would just require a 4 week last
call.
Even if a WG were formed, it could have a narrow scope.  it would not need
to consider every proposal for a change or extension to HTTP.

   At this point of time, I have not idea of what it takes to make a
WG, a proposal and get it approved.

   However, as you mention about  "a narrow scope" - I would like to
just give an example supporting this. RFC 821 details SMTP. RFC 2554
is entitled "SMTP Service Extension for Authentication". A very small
extension to 821.

  Similarly, we may like to follow up similarly. However, since the
protocol demands strict mention of the version in the following format

     HTTP-Version   = "HTTP" "/" 1*DIGIT "." 1*DIGIT

   we'd need to call it HTTP/1.2 (cannot have 1.1.1).

Seems like HTTP has been haphazardly modified so many times that it
is beyond the point where a 'strategy' could help.  Nor is it immediately

   I think it's not a matter of choice of having a strategy but the
way things have evolved. 0.9 -> 1.0 -> 1.1. The updates have been
based upon what has been prevelant in market and what the need arose.

  Anyway.. let me not digress from the main agenda of the thread.

--
Cheers,
Gaurav Vaish