Re: Last Call: 'Email Submission Between Independent Networks' to BCP

2005-06-09 17:15:44
The implications you are drawing are exactly what is intended. When the
 document said "treat as a submission" it meant exactly that.

 Sam is correct here - the text as written is incorrect, even if it
 accurately reflects the authors' intent.

You mean that you disagree with the authors' intent. That is quite different
from the document being "incorrect".

I meant what I said. You may infer that it is my opinion, and take that for what you think it's worth.

In other words, if you are coming from outside the network, you do not get to "relay" through the network. You can post/submit from within,
 you can deliver into the net or you can post/submit from outside.

This is wrong. "outside the network" is irrelevant. What matters is
 whether you are authorized to use that MTA to submit messages to
recipients not in the domain(s) for which that MTA is authorized to accept
 incoming mail.

I gave a case analysis for 3 conditions. I believe none of them was wrong and that there is not a fourth case. If you feel otherwise, please provide detail.

I didn't see a clear breakdown of those cases.

Again, I believe you are confusing what your own views and preferences are, with
some sort of independent, objective reality.

I could make the same claim about what you seem to be doing.

"Outside the network" is exactly what we felt was relevant. It might be dandy to phrase this as some more generic issue, but since this is an operations document, for consumption by operations people, it is phrased in a way that is
useful to THEIR perspective.

This perspective is specific to MSAs that are operated by IP networks for the customers of those IP networks. This is a less-than-general perspective, as there are MSAs that are independent of IP networks, and IP networks may wish to outsource mail service. Since the email architecture delegates MTA authority on a per-domain basis (via DNS and MX records), rather than by IP address blocks, the document would be more broadly applicable if it were rewritten to separate the concept of "operating environment" from the concept of domain.

If you're going to make a document that is narrowly scoped than that, you should at least state the scope.

Of course, if a user's identity is reliably known from his source IP address, combined with the knowledge an operator has that its network is adequately protected against source IP spoofing, this might reasonably be considered sufficient authentication for that user. But this should probably be stated explicitly and precisely rather than buried in the undefined concept of operating environment. And the question of whether a user should be able to use a particular server for message submission, or whether a message is treated as a submission, probably shouldn't depend on _how_ a user has authenticated - whether by passwords over TLS or TLS client certs or by PPPoE to the provider's network (as indicated by source IP address) - so long as the user's identity is reliably known.

 There seems to be some ambiguity between treating an incoming
 message as a submission and using the SUBMISSION protocol.

Well, I don't see the ambiguity, but I do see the confusion.

Submission is a hand-off from the From/Sender user realm to the mail handling service. SUBMISSION is a particular port and service for doing submissions.

The document uses the term 'submission' to refer to the hand-off step. It quite carefully distinguishes between the two ports through which submission is
currently done.

I don't see any effort to distinguish the two, say in section 2. Indeed, it appears that the document uses several vague terms without bothering to define them.

 It seems prudent to clearly distinguish the two.  And since treating
 an incoming message as a submission has never been well-defined,

the term "incoming" is what causes the problem here. For every server, every message that it receives is "incoming". that is true for msa's as well as mtas.

agreed.

however i suspect what you mean, here, is 'coming from outside the network'. since you earlier said that it is irrelevant, i'm not sure what your point is,
here.

no, that's not what I meant. I meant "treating a message received by an MTA as a submission has never been well defined".

Keith