Re: Last Call: 'Process for the IAB and IESG selection of IAOC members' to BCP

2005-06-14 02:33:15

It seems to me that what would be required to do so would be three
statements:

   ISOC's appointees do not represent ISOC, in the same way that IAB
   and IESG appointees do not represent the IAB or IESG. They serve
   the entire community.

   Nomcom appointees do not represent a subclass of all IETF
   participants, in the same way that IAB and IESG appointees do not
   represent the IAB or IESG. They serve the entire community.

   Since the IAOC manages the relationship between ISOC and the IETF,
   direct understanding of both IETF and ISOC is of value in all
   appointees.

Is there any reason the document shouldn't say that?

As one of the editors of this document I would note the following in response to your suggestions, by way of explanation as to why these statements are not in this draft:

- This document is a document that is limited to the definition of a procedure for the IAB and IESG to follow. It deliberately does not extend further than that quite limited brief, and did not intend to describe the accountabilities of the individuals that are selected through the application of this process.

- More generally, this document does not define the role or accountabilities of the IAOC. This more general objective is part of the intention of RFC 4071. Accountabilities of IAOC members are described in section 3.3 of that document, and it is repeated again in section 4 of that document. In reading that and comparing it to the three statements above its my personal view that this covers the first two of the statements proposed above.

- It is my view that the third statement above is beyond the scope of this draft. From my understanding of the structure we (IETF and ISOC) are in, I would not share your view that the "IAOC manages the relationship between ISOC and the IETF". To my mind the IAOC manages one operational aspect of this relationship, but as far as I can tell there's more to the relationship than just the IAOC.

However, I would also note that this is an IAB and IESG document, and if the IAB and IESG want these statements edited into the draft, then, of course, its their call.

regards,

   Geoff

`