Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-hip-base-03.txt

2005-06-23 17:01:02
On Thu June 23 2005 18:50, Internet-Drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org wrote:
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group of the
IETF.

      Title           : Host Identity Protocol
      Author(s)       : R. Moskowitz, et al.
      Filename        : draft-ietf-hip-base-03.txt
      Pages           : 96
      Date            : 2005-6-23

This memo specifies the details of the Host Identity Protocol (HIP).
   HIP provides a rapid exchange of Host Identities (public keys)
   between hosts and uses a Sigma-compliant [REF] Diffie-Hellman key
   exchange to establish shared secrets between such endpoints.  The
   protocol is designed to be resistant to Denial-of-Service (DoS) and
   Man-in-the-middle (MitM) attacks, and when used together with another
   suitable security protocol, such as Encapsulated Security Payload
   (ESP) [24], it provides encryption and/or authentication protection
   for upper layer protocols such as TCP and UDP, while enabling
   continuity of communications across network layer address changes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hip-base-03.txt

Brief comments:

1. The Abstract isn't supposed to contain references.

2. It is helpful to indicate a suggested forum for discussion
   (the Abstract is a good place)

3. Numeric references are deprecated
   http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2005-January/000235.html

4. The introduction refers to an architecture document, reference #25:
   [25]  Moskowitz, R., "Host Identity Protocol Architecture",
         draft-moskowitz-hip-arch-03 (work in progress), May 2003.

   Given the date, I strongly suspected expiration; I checked the I-D
   database:
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/idindex.cgi?command=id_detail&id=4950
   which shows a -06 version as the latest, also expired, and therefore no
   link to retrieve the document.  Dead End.

5. Appendices (the draft's contain reference citations) should appear
   before the Normative/Informative references.