Re: IANA Action: Assignment of an IPV6 Hop-by-hop Option

2005-06-26 08:57:34
Ralph,

Ralph Droms wrote:
I'd like to understand the process through which Dr. Roberts' request
was reviewed.  The first reference I can find to Dr. Roberts' request is
in the 2005-04-14 minutes of the IESG
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/view_telechat_minute.cgi?
command=view_minute&id=318  see below).  According to the rejection
announcement, the IESG reviewed the submission and determined that
"Reviewing this proposal within the IETF as an alternative to the
ongoing work would be a multi-year endeavor. The IESG is pessimistic
that this effort would ever achieve consensus."  The minutes refer to
discussion of a "management issue".  Was the entire review conducted in
the meeting on 2005-04-14, or was there additional review conducted
prior to that meeting? How, exactly, did the IESG review the submission
and how did the IESG come to its conclusion?

- Ralph

This took many weeks, considerable email, and several informal
discussions before the IESG was sure of its position and able to
record a conclusion in the meeting you cite. Since there was no
IETF contribution (I-D or email on a public list) this process
was indeed invisible. I would have preferred a discussion based
around an IETF draft, but we didn't have one.

   Brian