Re: Remote UI BoF at IETF63

2005-07-01 03:27:06
Vlad,

while I think this is a very interesting area for research and perhaps development, I've got to ask the questions that Dave Crocker always pulls up as standard questions for new work in the IETF.....

- What expertise do you see that the IETF has (and other groups do not have) that makes it the right body to work on this set of issues? - What importance to the Internet does this work have that makes it a correct use of IETF resources?

In the terms of the IETF mission statement, RFC 3935:

  The goal of the IETF is to make the Internet work better.

  The mission of the IETF is to produce high quality, relevant
  technical and engineering documents that influence the way people
  design, use, and manage the Internet in such a way as to make the
  Internet work better.  These documents include protocol standards,
  best current practices, and informational documents of various kinds.

this would definitely fall into the "use" category. But RFC 3935 also says:

  In attempting to resolve the question of the IETF's scope, perhaps
  the fairest balance is struck by this formulation: "protocols and
  practices for which secure and scalable implementations are expected
  to have wide deployment and interoperation on the Internet, or to
  form part of the infrastructure of the Internet."

  In addition to this constraint, we are also constrained by the
  principle of competence: Where we do not have, and cannot gather, the
  competence needed to make technically sound standards, we should not
  attempt to take the leadership.

I must admit that I, like Dave, find the concept fascinating, and that existing protocols like the X Windows protocol may not be the right fit for your requirements, but the IETF is an organization that has traditionally run very far and fast away from any mention of the words "user interface", so it seems like a bit of a strange fit....

More background, please!

                Harald