Re: draft-klensin-iana-reg-policy (Re: S stands for Steering)

2005-07-01 06:55:29

--On fredag, juli 01, 2005 19:11:34 +0700 Robert Elz <kre(_at_)munnari(_dot_)OZ(_dot_)AU> wrote:

The IETF may have tried to control MIB contents using registration
control, but at that it failed miserably.   That isn't surprising,
it is a tool not suited to the task.

quick reply.... not the only thing I want to reply to, but.....

I was thinking of the process that Marshall Rose instituted, where internet-draft MIBs get OIDs out of "experimental", while RFC MIBs get OIDs out of "mib-2" (or wherever it is; my detail memory is awful).

That's had the result that people KNOW that their implemetations of the internet-draft won't conform to the RFC - which means that they either stand ready to implement the RFC (including any last-minute tweaks) or that they make a conscious decision to ship stuff that uses experimental OIDs.

Both outcomes are fine with me... I wasn't thinking of OIDs in general.

               Harald