work on diagnostics

2005-08-04 09:56:50

Re the plenary thread now on user experience, and the apparently related topic of diagnostics, folks might be interested in some R&D done in Internet2 on "end-to-end diagnostics":

  http://middleware.internet2.edu/e2ed/

NSF funded this work because of the observation that many of the programs they fund develop and deploy network-dependent distributed applications, which typically end up being hard to diagnose, ultimately affecting the science and the scientists. I have to say the experience of the folks doing this work was that despite everyone appreciating the importance of the topic, it's hard to get anyone (users or developers) very interested in diagnostics ... so if anyone wants to follow up with them I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

 - RL "Bob"