Re: Cautionary tale: Paris pickpockets

2005-08-10 13:55:59
At 12:55  -0700 10/08/05, Dave Crocker wrote:
 > he said I'd be crazy
to have my wallet in the backpocket and urged me to put it somewhere
inside my jacket because that would be much more difficult to get.

when my wallet was lifted, 2 months ago in the Paris metro, it was in my front left pocket.

"much more difficult" is simply not correct.

I travel a lot. In cities where worry is appropriate (Paris, Rome and quite a few others), I chain the wallet to the bottom of the pocket. Go to local hardware store, get two feet of 'sink plug' chain (the stuff that look like balls joined together), and an eyelet for each end, and a small key-ring clip, and a safety pin. Attach eyelet + safety pin to bottom of pocket, eyelet + clip to wallet. The chain is heavy and flexible enough that it naturally snakes into the pocket, and the whole solution costs maybe $5. Yes, it's easy to cut, but most pickpockets don't have time for scissors or cutters or hassle.
--
David Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime