RE: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' to Proposed Standard

2005-08-31 23:58:48
[for as112 project: maybe add .local into the list of domains??]

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 14:24 -0700, Christian Huitema wrote:
Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows XP do not enable LLMNR by
default.

Christian, could you please tell us, for each OS mentioned, how to
enable
LLMNR? That would enable everyone participating in this discussion to
witness for themselves exactly how it works and what it does.

You would have to get an experimental implementation of LLMNR from some
developer site.

This is not 'simply enabling it' :) And then I also wonder if there
actually is an implementation for Win98/Win2k those two being pretty old
and quite unsupported by now I guess... but this besides the point.

To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft is not shipping
this code. In these systems, ad hoc names are resolved through NETBIOS.
The ".local" queries observed in Peter's root servers is most certainly
not caused by an LLMNR implementation.

They are most likely done by these nice DSL "router" (NAT :) setups.
Most of these devices have a .local zone configured too. I would not be
surprised if these leaked their queries to the root servers.

That said, if people want to limit the effect of these 'bogus' queries
onto the root servers I suggest that ISP's join into the AS112 project.
Also it would maybe be an idea for AS112 to add .local there?

Greets,
 Jeroen

PS: Who ever named the LLMNR draft 'mdns' isn't that completely
confusing for people looking up the mDNS draft, that is the protocol
that Stuart made? :)