Re: Last Call: 'Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)' toProposed Standard

2005-09-05 05:05:41

LLMNR does create extra queries to root servers. Lets say I have named
my local devices in LLMNR as

 "fridge"
 "tv"
 "vcr"
 "myserver"

Now, every time, when some application wants to contact those devices,
it does a normal getbyname using one of the names.

Because there is only one network in my home, the internet gateway is
on the same link and has also global DNS enabled. By LLMNR definion,
the "getbyname" first tries to resolve those names from the global
DNS. Thus for "vcr", we get query to root servers for "vcr", etc.

Now, imagine every household or mobile phone doing the same...