RE: Model patent license (RE: DNSEXT Minutes @ IETF-63 [Software Patent issues denieddiscussion] )

2005-09-09 06:41:36

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no]

I agree - and I think the IPR WG's mailing list is the right
place to have
the public discussion of that issue.

Unfortunately efforts to write a candidate license have fizzled out
numerous times in the past - partly because it's genuinely
hard to do,
partly because the lawyers who might write it see some legal
risk in trying
to write one (they fear being accused of trying to bias such
a license to
their particular ends), partly because the acrimony
surrounding this issue
has been rather uncomfortable, to say the least, in past discussions.

May be time to try again - I think it's definitely needed.

A long time ago I was involved in an attempt to develop standard legal
contract terms (eterms). At the end I concluded that the way that the
group should have worked was to take existing contracts and recognize
them as exemplars.