RE: [Ltru] Last call comments on LTRU registry andinitialization documents

2005-09-09 15:51:40
From: ltru-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ltru-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John C
Klensin

      Aside on the example above (LTRU participants can skip
      unless they want to check my logic): "en-Hang" and
      "en-Hant" would imply writing English in Korean Hangul
      or Traditional Chinese characters respectively.  In
      addition to those not exactly being common cases, it is
      not clear that they are feasible...

      Hangul is problematic in a different way.
      Unlike Chinese characters, it is definitely phonetic.
      But because it is rather carefully designed and
      structured around the needs of Korean, it is not clear
      to me, in my ignorance, that it could be used to
      represent the full range of English phonemes and
      syllables with reasonable accuracy.

Actually, that's not quite true. There are Korean linguists who have promoted
the idea that Hangul script can be adapted for use for general phonemic
transcription of languages. Thus, it is plausible that a user might have
English data written with Hangul script.

This really is no different from the da-CO kinds of examples: they are not
particularly useful because there is no actual variant of the given language
associated with the given country, but only coincidentally, and in principle
the state of affairs in human demographics could well change such as such a
variant does actually exist. Just as there is no limit to what region a given
language can be spoken by a significant population (given sufficient mobility),
in principle there is no limit to what script can be used to write a given
language (given sufficient ingenuity).

The *only* difference for these cases in RFC 3066 is that generative use
without requiring registration is sanctioned for country IDs ‎but not for
script IDs. And that is not so by explicit design; is resulted simply because
we weren't yet sure how script IDs should be integrated into the tags and the
fact that ISO 15924 wasn't yet published.

Peter Constable