20 years later - where are we?

2005-09-11 16:28:31
The 20th anniversary of the first meeting of the IETF is coming up fast - January 2006. I think a little history is in order for some of the newcomers.

I was recently cleaning out some of my older files and found the attached "Internet Problem Reports" from late 1986. These were really the first formal items the IETF took on as engineering issues. Note the assumption that TCP/IP was just a passing fancy and that ISO would be the stack going forward. Little did we know...

It is nice to know that at least a few things were eventually solved by the IETF (DNS deployment, replacement of EGP as the major routing system). And bandwidth is no longer a problem (mostly).

The attached are a scanned, OCR'd and edited to clean up format version of the original reports. Enjoy.