Re: BitTorrent (Was: Re: [Isms] ISMS charter broken- onus should be on WG to fix it)

2005-09-15 15:59:35
On 09/15/2005 17:09 PM, Paul Hoffman allegedly wrote:
At 1:50 PM -0700 9/15/05, Michael Thomas wrote:
Which is pretty much the elephant in the room, I'd say. How
much of the net traffic these days is, essentially, not in
any way standardized, and in fact probably considers ietf
old and in the way?

Not sure why this is an elephant; who cares? I have seen numbers that
show that a huge percentage of traffic is P2P of various flavors, but I
haven't seen anyone saying that this is having any negative effects.

The metaphor I'm trying to use this week is that the IETF is
landscapers and we provide a fertile, beautiful area for people to go
wild and create excellent gardens.  What you're describing is not a
bug, it's feature.  It means the IETF have done their job.  If there
were interoperability problems in the fundamental and/or widespread
technologies being used in the Internet, then there would be a problem
(we're working on those).  Congratulations.

swb