Re: IETF Process Evolution

2005-09-16 10:00:55
I would like to note that the use of this process was not agreed to by a
consensus of
the IESG.

Brian sent early versions of this proposal to the IESG, and it received
considerable pushback, some of it from me.  I strongly encouraged
Brian to use a design team to draft a charter for a tightly focused working
group in the General Area instead.  I agree with Brian that general
discussion of IETF process change tends to diverge and to move slowly,
but I believe that working groups like NomCom show that we can succeed
with focused charters in establishing new procedures or revising existing
ones.  I believe the public chartering process of a focused working group
is a useful, necessary part of the openness of the IETF process, and that
the public discussion within that charter, once established, is critical
for process change of the scope envisioned.

It is not clear from the note below whether every volunteer to serve will
be a part of the PESCI team team, or whether the group will be selected
from among the volunteers by Brian.  I ask him to clarify that point.

It is not clear from the note below whether the pesci-discuss list is the
discussion list for the PESCI design team or a conduit of community
input into its deliberations.  I ask Brian to clarify that point.

Brian notes that after his design team reports to the IETF on the IETF's goals
and principles multiple things may happen, among them:

- decide whether to renew the PESCI design team (assumed below)
   or use an alternative discussion forum
 - consider various process change proposals from any source
- reach a team consensus on a consistent set of proposals
   and a sequence for implementing them, with target dates. All
   proposals must embed the principle of rough IETF consensus and
   must provide an appeal mechanism.
 - one of the proposals, likely the first, may be a proposal
   for a new process for process change
 - post the proposals as Internet-Drafts intended for publication
   as BCPs

It is not clear who decides whether to renew the PESCI design team.
Its creation is a unilateral decision of Brian as Chair; is the decision
for renewal subject to public review?

Given the lack of a working group, who decides among alternatives
agreed to by consensus of this design team and those proposed
outside of this mechanism, should there be alternate proposals
that are proposed to the IETF?

Though Brian notes that there are multiple possible outcomes after
PESCI reports, this step appears to be a concrete proposal for how
to proceed:

forward proposals for approval as BCPs* and acceptance by
   the ISOC Board. Until such time as the new process for process
   change has been approved, the proposals will be submitted
   directly to the General Area Director and the approval body
   will be the IESG. However, the IESG members' principal chance
   to comment on and influence the proposals is prior to their
   forwarding for approval.

Brian has commented in the past on the difficulty of him being both
Chair and General Area Director, and this highlights the problem.
Brian is choosing to start the PESCI effort as IETF Chair(Roll 1); he will lead
it (Roll 2);
he will then forward its proposal to himself as General Area Director (Roll 3).

The IETF has had a serious queueing problem for a long time, as things have
evolved such that "important to the IETF" has meant "passes through the IESG".
That's deeply wrong (and very slow), and it needs to change.  Getting us to a
point
where new queues are available for distinct tasks is a good idea, and "process
change
management" is clearly a distinct task from "manage working groups", which is
the IESG's basic job.   But getting us to that new point by funneling the
interim
change process through a single individual (in however many multiple roles)
is equally wrong.

I ask Brian to adjust this plan so that PESCI's output is a charter for a
working group
that can achieve at least the first task "set up a new change management
process"
according to the existing system.  I strongly support the need for change, and
I believe that to achieve the appropriate community involvement this is
required.

                        regards,
                                Ted Hardie