RE: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) A rea

2005-09-22 07:40:51
Dave,

        Hmmmm.  Someone told me once that real-time means on a
time scale such that no measurable time elapses between event
occurrences and their recognition. You have to allow either
this definition, or one similar to it, as - relativistically
speaking - "real-time" doesn't exist in anything larger than
a Planck length.  So I suspect the another word for real-time
might be ASAP.

        Interestingly enough, we had a number of people talking
about real-time last week in a context where real-time may be
measured in hours or even days.  A classic example is any sort
of production schedule - media, construction, etc.  Another is
bulk transportation - troop movement, shipping, etc.

        Admittedly, in a networking context, real time is being
measured over shorter and shorter time intervals. But the Area
being proposed is not really about networking, is it?

--
Eric