Re: [dhcwg] Re: DHCID and the use of MD5 [Re: Last Call:'Resolution ofFQDN Conflicts among DHCP Clients' to ProposedStandard]

2005-12-02 10:59:00
On Thursday 01 December 2005 12:31, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
My criteria here are that the DNS should support an extension mechanism
that allows the definition of new records at will without the need to
deploy ANY new code at either the client or the server.

Right, we have that.   It's called the RRtype.   Many, many type codes are
available.  Requiring the use of additional labels and not taking advantage
of the very nice DNS update prerequisite support because someone doesn't want
to support transparent addition of RRtypes is pathetic.   We've had the
capacity to extend option codes in every DHCP server (as well as most
clients) in existence practically since day one, and that's a much more
complicated problem than handling new RRtypes.