Re: The rights of email senders and IETF rough consensus

2005-12-20 08:58:51
  IETF should not make it more difficult
for the Internet to adapt to changing conditions by standardizing
protocols that only work in a narrow set of conditions - even when those
conditions are reflected in some providers' current contracts or
policies.

Like ARP?

The problem with the sort of parental generalization you are making is that a) it presumes that we have better knowledge of future applicability than we often do, b) it conflates technical competence with architectural purity, and c) it ignores how easily the IETF can be routed around when it asserts abstract ideals at the expense of practical utility and clear market acceptance.

d/

--

 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking