More on the Secretariat Statement of Work (SOW)

2005-12-23 13:55:31
In thinking through the Statement of Work (SoW), I think that an important
component is to provide the IETF with sufficient information on how well
the organization is performing.

There are many metrics for that, but an important one is the time taken in
various stages of the IETF process.

Unfortunately, it is not clear to me that we are currently collecting this
information in a form that makes it easy to analyze.  We are also not
analyzing the data on a regular basis, using it in a systematic effort to
improve IETF performance (or at least to prevent it from deteriorating
further).

Researchers such as Tim Simcoe of the University of Toronto have studied
metrics of IETF performance and have come to some interesting conclusions.
For example, it appears that time from an initial -00 to RFC publication
varies considerably by area, as well as by designation (Information,
Experiemntal, Proposed).  In the process of developing this research, Tim
has also had to do significant work to adjust the data to make it suitable
for analysis.

My suggestion is that the IAOC needs to start thinking about what data
and reports are needed to enable the IETF to measure and improve its
performance.