RE: Consensus based on reading tea leaves (was: Re: Alternative formatsfor IDs)

2006-01-01 23:25:45

I can't imagine that ever encouraging the IESG to decide
that they know what IETF consensus "really" is,
while disregarding public comment,
is ever going to be a good thing to do.

How did you read that into what we said?
We never said that IETF consensus should not be gauged.
Quite the contrary, we said that we don't want four emails
on the IETF list  to be used as a proxy for consensus.

We wrote a draft precisely in order to get the same treatment
that other drafts get.
If there is no WG that deals with the subject,
then perhaps the right way to check the will of the IETF community
is to ask for a hum at one of the plenary sessions.

We believe that in such a broad forum there will be
strong support for leaving the dark ages of ASCII.

Y(J)S