Re: Troubles with UTF-8

2006-01-02 00:45:41
On Dec 28, 2005, at 12:46 PM, Randy Presuhn wrote:

Reserving NUL as a special terminator is a C library-ism. I think that
history has shown that the use of this kind of mechanism, rather than
explicitly tracking the string's length, was a mistake.

I used to think so too, but I don't any more; twenty years of doing text processing has convinced me that C's null-terminated strings simply cannot be improved on in a low-level programming language. For more on the subject see http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/ 2003/04/13/Strings -Tim