Re: bozo-proofing the net (or making better bozos?)

2006-01-02 12:40:59
Can we also conclude that SSL/TLS has failed as a tool for general
communication?

I think the issue here is whether we're talking about user-machine or
machine-machine interaction.  When I bring up an https:// URL, very often
I will encounter a cert-related error.  The certificate will be expired,
or the altSubjectName may not match the name of the site, or it may not
have a path to a pre-established trust anchor.

If SSL/TLS is being used as a machine-machine security mechanism, these
errors will often be fatal, implying the need for pre-configuration in
order to ensure reliable operation.  SMTP over TLS is an example of a
situation where pre-configuration is typically required.

On the other hand, when user-machine interaction is occurring, the user
may be given the opportunity to remedy the situation.  We can argue about
whether this is likely to be effective (how many users have the expertise
to really understand whether they should click "OK" or not?) but the point
is that without a user bypass, general use of https would be difficult.

The question in my mind is where DKIM fits in this continuum.  As long
as the user is given the opportunity to look at the "spam" bucket, to see
if anything important was mistakenly placed there, it seems more akin to
the https:// case, than the S/MIME case.  The situation would be
different, for example, if the technology were to be used to prevent mail
delivery at all (e.g. mandatory use of SMTP over TLS with mutual
authentication).  In that situation, the balkanization of trust
hierarchies would prove highly disruptive.

Harald Alvestrand said:

There's a pair of facts (or what passes for facts) here:

- the IETF community has rejected the idea of mandating a single root for
"just about anything" (except for the DNS, the IANA and the address
spaces)
- Multiple roots lead to balkanization (of lesser or greater severity)

If these statements are both true, they might explain the lack of success
of S/MIME as a tool for general (rather than balkanized) communication.

As far as I remember, neither of these statements have come out as
consensus statements in any IETF document - perhaps because "everyone"
knows that raising the issue will cause an endless debate and no consensus
document?

Might be time to challenge that assumption....

John Levine said:

The more I think about this, the less sense it makes.  DKIM is not the
first misusable security technology to come along, nor will it be the
last.  What makes it so uniquely dangerous that it needs special warning
labels?

Consider HTTP over SSL.  It has exactly the same balkanization problem
today that you're concerned about.  Browsers are shipped with a fairly
random list of signing certs that have more to do with history and PR
budgets than with an objective standard of merit, and pages from any https
server that hasn't bought a signature from someone in the browser's list
provoke a scary warning message.  Yet I see no language in RFC 2818 or in
sections 2.3 and 2.4 of RFC 2459 (user and administrator expectations)
warning about the problem of balkanization due to arbitrary signer lists.

Or consider S/MIME.  S/MIME applications have a cert list similar to the
one in a web browser, so they also have the problem of dividing the world
into haves who can afford a cert with a signature from someone in the list
and have-nots who can't.  I haven't read every word of every S/MIME RFC
(there sure are a lot of them), but if there's any warnings about
balkanization, they're very well hidden.

Or how about DNSSEC?  As the problems of phishing and malware get worse,
and ICANN and IANA start putting signatures into the root zone, people
will inevitably come up with the bright idea that names in signed zones
are "secure".  Even better, in the absence of signatures all the way to
the top, people will start making lists of the islands of security that
they like to limit which signed zones they accept.  I would think that
warnings about this would have belonged in RFC 4033.

I really need clarification of why DKIM RFCs need to tell people about the
dangers of balkanization, even though HTTPS, S/MIME, and DNSSEC don't.
Since we will certainly be seeing more anti-spam and anti-phishing
proposals, what would be really useful would be a metric to decide when a
future proposal is more dangerous like DKIM and requires warning language,
or is less dangerous like the other three and doesn't.